JBU traces its beginning to George Liele,
a 'free black slave' from Atlanta Georgia
who came to Jamaica in 1783 and started
preaching in Kingston. His work grew
and spread to other parts of the island.
The Baptist Missionary Society (UK)
was invited to support the work, and
in 1814 they sent the first missionary
to the island. The ministry continued
to grow and expand under the British.
Baptists were very involved in the struggle
for the emancipation of slavery. Three
of our national heroes were Baptists.
After emancipation Baptists were instrumental
in establishing "free Villages"
for the new emancipated people. This
included buying large parcels of lands
and cutting these into small holdings,
which were sold to families. The villages
also included a school and a Baptist
Baptists also established, in 1843,
the "Calabar Theological College"
for the training of Ministers for the
local ministry and also as missionaries
to Africa and the Caribbean. The Baptist
work in the Cameroons, West Africa,
was started by the Baptists of Jamaica
1849, some of the Baptist Churches in
Jamaica came together to form the Jamaica
Baptist Union. The Baptist Churches
had seven years before declared their
independence of the Baptist Missionary
JBU now has 330 Churches across the
island, 122 ministers and approximately
40,000 communicant members.
THE JAMAICA BAPTIST UNION - OFFICERS
OF THE JBU