Name: This Organization shall be called "THE JAMAICA BAPTIST UNION"
Constituency: The Union shall consist of such Ministers and other persons as are in agreement with the Articles of Association hereafter set forth and are registered and recognised as members thereof in accordance with such Regulations as shall be enacted and adopted hereafter relative to its various activities.
Affirmation: We unite in affirming:
- That there is one God, the Father Almighty, the Creator; That Jesus Christ as presented in the Scriptures is the Lord and Saviour, the sole and absolute authority for faith and conduct, God manifest in the flesh, Who was crucified for our sins and was raised from the dead for our justification and is the Living Head of the Church.
- That there is one Holy Spirit through Whom we are brought to worship God, to know and obey His will revealed in the Scriptures and to become living members of the Church.
- That Christian Baptism is immersion in water into the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, of those who have been led by the Holy Spirit to repentance towards God and faith in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
- That it is the duty of every Disciple to bear personal witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, in Family and Public Worship, in the observance of the ordinance of Baptism and the Lord's Supper, in conduct and in the Evangelisation of the world.
Objects: The objects of the Union shall be to promote co-operative effort in whatever may best serve the cause of Christ in general and the Baptist Denomination in particular by:
- Establishment of Churches: Encouraging and assisting in the establishment of Churches, Sunday Schools and kindred organizations and in the maintenance of work in connection therewith wherever needful and practicable.
- Associations: Encouraging and assisting in the formation and maintenance of Associations of Baptist Churches within the Union.
- Educational Work:
- Initiating and maintaining Educational work in schools, among Women, Men, Youth and the society in general.
- Initiating, promoting and developing projects for Christian ideals and purposes.
- Financial Schemes: Initiating and administering such financial schemes as may be decided upon from time to time.
- Publications: Issuing appropriate publications.
- Building Work: Building or assisting in the building of Churches, Manses, schools or any other project that the Union may approve.
- Pastoral Settlements: Co-operating with Ministers and Churches with reference to the settlement of Pastors.
- Statistics and Reports: Obtaining and disseminating accurate information respecting the various activities of the Union.
- Baptist World Fellowship: Promoting fraternal relationship between Baptists at home and abroad.
- Co-operation with other Bodies: Conferring and Co-operating with other Christian bodies as the occasion may require.
- Trusteeship: Undertaking in accordance with the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Jamaica Baptist Union Corporation, the Trusteeship of Churches, Manses, other church property, Trust Funds and legal settlements.
Polity: The Union consisting of such units are specified under foregoing Article II while recognizing the autonomous character of each Church in membership therewith, nevertheless, require that strict adherence shall be given to such Rules and Regulations as are now in force, or as may be adopted from time to time in the interest of the "body corporate" and in consequence thereof hereby provides that whenever any of its members (Church, Minister, Deaconess or personal or honorary member) shall be adjudged to have acted or to be acting in contravention to the said Rules and Regulations and in a manner injurious, or calculated to be injurious to its interests, it shall have power to act in accordance with the provisions of such regulations as are in force relative to its discipline and powers.
Officers: The Officers of the Union shall be:
- A President
- A General Secretary
- General Treasurer
- Any other Officer specially provided for by Resolution or Regulations.
- The Immediate Past President
Such officers, except the General Secretary, shall be elected annually and shall function in accordance with the provisions of the regulations relating to their respective offices.
Operations: The Union shall act through:
- A General Assembly
- A Ministerial Council
- An Executive Committee
- Parish Associations
- Its Officers
- A Statutory Corporation established by Act 16 of 1969.
The General Assembly: The General Assembly shall consist of:
- Ministers of the Jamaica Baptist Union
- Delegates from the Jamaica Baptist Union Churches
- Personal Members
- Members of the Executive Committee
Personal Members, and shall function in accordance with the provisions of the regulations relating thereto.
The Ministerial Council: The Ministerial Council shall consist of all Ministers of the Jamaica Baptist Union and shall function in accordance with the provisions of the regulations relating thereto.
The Executive Committee: The Executive Committee shall consist of:
- Officers of the Union
- Such Ex-Officio Members as may be provided for by regulations.
- Members elected annually; in accordance with the provisions of the regulations relating thereto.
The Statutory Corporation shall consist of the persons holding the undermentioned offices in accordance with Article 3 Section 1, of Act 16, 1969, being:
- President, Jamaica Baptist Union
- Secretary, Jamaica Baptist Union
- Treasurer, Jamaica Baptist Union
- Secretary, BME
- President, Jamaica Baptist Union Brotherhood
Departments: The Departments of the Union shall be:
- Board of Mission and Evangelism
- Christian Education
- Women's Federation
- Such other Departments as may be created from time to time.
- The GENERAL ASSEMBLY shall meet in Annual Session at such time and place as may be determined from time to time in accordance with the provisions of the regulations relating thereto.
Special Sessions of the Assembly to deal with matters of importance and urgency may be convened.
- The MINISTERIAL COUNCIL shall meet in Annual sessions prior to or during the Annual Assembly. Special Sessions may also be called to deal with matters of importance and urgency.
- The EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE shall meet at least four times a year and shall function in accordance with the regulations relative thereto.
- The STATUTORY CORPORATION shall meet at least once per quarter and shall function in accordance with the provisions of Act 16 of 1969.
Year of the Union: The Year of the Union shall be the 1st of October to 30th September.
Funds: The Funds of the Union shall be administered under the following:
- Global Assessment
- Theological Education
- Strategic Properties
- Real and personal property
- Any other Fund approved by the Union
All of the foregoing Funds shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of the regulations relating thereto.
Audit: all Accounts of the Union shall be audited annually and presented to the Executive, who will, in turn, lay them on the table of the House (Assembly) at the first opportunity.
Seal: The Union shall have a Seal which shall be used in accordance with the provisions of Act 16 of 1969.
Power to Frame Regulations: The Union shall have power to enact and enforce from time to time such Regulations and Rules of Order which are not in conflict with any of the Articles of Association herein set forth.
- Any or all of the foregoing Articles may be amended at any Annual Session provided notice of the proposed Amendment shall have been sent to the General Secretary at least 6 months before the Assembly.
- All notices received by the General Secretary under the provisions of the foregoing paragraph shall be published by him in full, in at least three consecutive issues of the Official Denominational Newspaper immediately prior to the meeting at which the matter to which they relate are to be considered.
- Provided, however, that the lack of any such publication shall not of itself be sufficient to prevent the consideration of any matter notice of which shall have been otherwise duly given.
- Provided also that no amendment can be made to any of the foregoing Articles except upon the vote of at least two-thirds of those present at the time of voting.
THIS CONSTITUTION was passed at a regular meeting of the Jamaica Baptist Union Assembly held at the Boulevard Baptist Church, St. Andrew, on the 19th day of February, 1981.
Rev. D. M. Millwood, B.D., M.Th
P.O. Box 676Spanish Town Post Office
Jamaica, West Indies
Rev. George Simpson
P. O. Box 3
Anchovy Post Office
Jamaica, West Indies
- Mr. Sydney Greaves
Sangster's Book Store
97 Harbour Street
Jamaica, West Indies
Rev. A. McKenzie, M.A., B.D., S.T.M.
6 Hope Road
Jamaica, West Indies